Tuesday 25 February 2014

JEREMY VINE RECALLS HIS DAYS (AND NIGHTS) AT METRO



by ANDY FLEMING

Metro Radio was, and still is a hotbed for the development of broadcasting talent. Many well known faces on television and voices on national radio cut their teeth at the station. One such youngster during the mid-eighties was a young Jeremy Vine, who presented at Metro Radio whilst studying for his degree at Durham University.


Jeremy's show was called Through The Night With Jerry Vine and the BBC Radio 2 lunch time phone in presenter was kind enough to spare some time and contact this website. This is what he had to say about his time at Metro Radio:


I just found this site; what an excellent archive. I presented on MetroRadio at Swalwell between 2.00 and 5.00am roughly once a week, between 1984 and 1986 while I was a student at Durham University.

I was given the slot by Giles Squire (who was then a DJ/executive) and whom I still see. Mic Johnson was the controller. Alan Robson was doing the show before mine. It wasn't really mine anyway - it was Dave Bray who was the main presenter of the overnight show when I was there. I wasn't much good but I learnt a lot.


Other DJs were Steve King, Nicky Brown, Peter Duncan and Dave Porter. Dave Porter usually came on at 5.00am. My first record on my first show was Abba's, Dancing Queen, in 1984.


I was paid £8 per hour on air, which was a fortune to me. I will always be grateful to Giles and Mic for the start.

Best wishes
Jeremy Vine
BBC Radio 2

You can listen to Jeremy every day between 12 noon and 2.00pm on BBC Radio 2 for his phone in show that he has broadcast for over ten years and was a replacement for the retiring Jimmy Young.


FEEL IT? LOVE IT?... THEN SHARE IT!


Facebook Twitter Google Digg Reddit LinkedIn Pinterest StumbleUpon Email

No comments:

Post a Comment